Гори, гори любовь цыганки
- Я цыган сын воли и полей
- Я цыганка дочь воли и полей,
- А то закрыть любимый ресторан
- Эх, далёк мой табор-караван
- Sol Hurokracy = Sol Hurok was the impresario who brought the Moiseyev Ballet to the US.
- Arthur Murray = Founder of very popular dance studio chain
- Charlie Parker = Jazz saxophonist
Once again it is Gypsy time. On Elektra Records. You know some Russian Gypsy songs have as their theme, so to speak, how happy it is to be miserable. Others say how miserable it is to be happy. Well gents, this one's different, it'd say, how miserable it is to be miserable.
The English language version seems to have been first performed by The Limeliters. A comment on a forum suggested that Gene Raskin wrote the English lyrics, which would be consistent with other English translations by him which were later sung by the Limeliters (e.g. Those were the days).