- Main Advantage: Anyone can add new songs and edit existing ones.
- Without anyone being able to contribute, the spivanyk will fall out of date and be missing tons of songs.
- We see this when new songs like Безмежне життя, Чекатиму, and Село become popular and are passed around handwritten or verbally instead of in a convenient, central place.
- Even classics like Ясний вогник were glaringly absent from the internet before this project.
- This also allows anyone to update the list of renditions so we don't end up with so many songs with broken links or without renditions at all.
- In При Ватрі, the way chords are shown (i.e. using a variable-width font) means that they will not show up in the same position in every browser. This is a real issue, as you can see in the screenshot comparison below. WikiSpiv renders by telling the browser to align each individual chord above the correct letter to mitigate this problem.
- By using the open MediaWiki platform, anyone can create applications which interface with our database.
- This spivanyk is also intentionally not part of Plast -- we also include CYM songs, for instance. It is a collaborative spivanyk for everyone.
- Our open design is also allowing us to collaborate better on the development of new features. For instance, we are currently working on a system to allow people to collaboratively edit sheet music for each song.
It's a work in progress. As a stop-gap, the website is mobile-friendly.
Данило Сенторе at Daniel.Centore@gmail.com